2007 Fellowship at the European Institute of Oncology,
Milan, Italy for Breast Reconstruction
2006 Fellowship in Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction in Gent, Belgium
2005 Fellowship in Breast Reconstruction with Dr. Hammond in Grand Rapids, MI
2005 Michigan State Medical License
2005 ABPS (American Board of Plastic Surgery) Board Eligible
2005 ECFMG Certificate
2005 Clinical Fellow in Aesthetic Surgery in Toronto with Dr. Carlsen
2004 FRCS(C) in Plastic Surgery
2002 Medical Council of Canada-LMCC
2001 Principles of Surgery Exam
1997 MBBS, King Saud University School of Medicine
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
INTERNSHIP AND RESIDENCY
1999-2004 Plastic Surgery Residency at McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
1998-1999 Resident in General Surgery at King Faisal Specialist Hospital
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1997-1998 Rotating Internship King Khalid University Hospital
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1991-1997 MBBS, King Saud University School of Medicine
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
• ASPS Active member
• ISAPS Active member
• Saudi Council for Medical Specialties
• Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, Canada (CPSO)
• Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
• Operation Rainbow Canada (private, all volunteer non-profit medical services organization which functions without paid staff and provides free reconstructive surgery and related health care for cleft lip and cleft palate deformities to needy children and young adults in developing countries)
• Michigan State Medical Society- USA
• Kent County Medical Society -USA
1. Hammond, D.C., Simon, A.M., Khuthaila, D.K., et al.
Latissimus Dorsi Flap Salvage of the Partially Failed TRAM Flap Breast
Reconstruction. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2007 Aug;120(2): 382-9.
2. Hammond, D.C., Khuthaila, D.K., Kim, J. The Skate Flap Purse-String Technique for Nipple - Areola Complex Reconstruction. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2007 Aug;120(2):399-406.
3. Martella S, Caliskan M, Rossetto F, De Oliveira HA, De Brito Lima LN, De Lorenzi F, Khuthaila DK, Petit JY, Luini A. Surgical closure of chest wall in non-inflammatory locally advanced breast carcinoma with ulceration of the skin. Poster presented at the 9th Milan Breast Cancer Conference in Milan, Italy. June 20 -22, 2007
4. Hamdi, M., Khuthaila, D.K., et al. Double-Pedicle Abdominal Perforator Free Flaps for Unilateral Breast Reconstruction: New Horizons in Microsurgical Tissue Transfer to the Breast. J Plast, Reconstru. Aesthet. Surg. 2007;60(8):904-12
5. Hammond, D.C., Alfonso, D.R., Khuthaila, D.K., et al. Mastopexy using the SPAIR technique. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. Accepted.
6. Hammond, D.C., Khuthaila, D.K., Kim, J. The interlocking Gore-Tex suture for control of areolar diameter and shape. Plast. Reconstr. Surg.2007 Mar;119(3):804-9.
7. Urbaniak, R.M., Khuthaila, D.K., Khalil, A.J., Hammond, D.C. Closure of Massive Abdominal Wall Defects: A Case Report Using the Abdominal Re-approximation anchor (ABRA) system. Ann. Plast. Surg. 2006 Nov;57(5):573-7.
8. Hammond, D.C., Khuthaila, D.K. Augmentation Mammaplasty. Plastic Surgery Secrets. Second Edition, 2006.
9. Simon, A., Khuthaila, D.K., Hammond, D.C. Pyoderma gangrenosum following reduction mammaplasty. Canadian Journal of Plast. Surg. Spring 2006, 14 (1): 37-40
10. Hammond, D.C, Khalil, A. J., and Khuthaila, D.K. The interlocking Gore-Tex suture for control of areolar diameter and shape. Poster presented at the ASPS meeting in Chicago, September, 2005.
11. Khuthaila, D.K., Hammond, D.C. Back to the Latissimus Dorsi. Plastic Surgery Products, August 2005.
12. Thoma, A., Veltri, K., Khuthaila, D., et al. Comparison of the deep inferior epigastric perforator flap and free transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap in postmastectomy reconstruction: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2004 May;113(6):1650-61.
13. Thoma, A., Khuthaila, D., Rockwell, G., Veltri, K. Cost-utility analysis comparing free and pedicled TRAM flap for breast reconstruction. Microsurgery. 2003;23(4):287-95.
1. Khuthaila, D.K., Javed, Khurram. The Use of VAC Therapy
in Surgical Wounds. Presented at the 2nd V.A.C Therapy Symposium in Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia, Nov. 17, 2007.
2. Khuthaila, D.K., Hammond, D.C. The interlocking Gore-Tex suture for control of areolar diameter and shape. Presented to the Plastic Surgery Department at the European Institute of Oncology in Milan, Italy, July19th, 2007.
3. Khuthaila, D.K., Introduction to Plastic Surgery. Presented at the Girls' School in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. April, 9th, 2007
4. Khuthaila, D.K., Hammond, D.C. The interlocking Gore-Tex suture for control of areolar diameter and shape. Presented at the 60th Annual Meeting of the CSPS in Quebec City. June 14-17, 2006.
5. Khuthaila, D. Pedicled versus free TRAM flap for post –mastectomy reconstruction: A cost-utility analysis.
Presented at the 55th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
Jasper, Alberta. June 6-9, 2001
And at the Annual Residents’ Research Conference in Hamilton Oct. 6th 2000
6. Khuthaila,D , Thoma A. Comparison of Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator (DIEP) flap and Free Rectus Abdominis Myocutaneous (TRAM ) flap in post –mastectomy reconstruction. A cost –effectiveness analysis.
Sept. 27th 2002 in Hamilton and at the 18th Annual Meeting of American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery. January 12th 2003 in Kauai, Hawaii
7. Khuthaila, D, Bamehriz, F. Malignant Eccrine Poroma of the foot: A case Report and Review of the Literature. Presented at the Division of Plastic Surgery Residents Research Day, Sept. 27th , 2002 in Hamilton, Ontario
8. Khuthaila, D Hong, Bendago. A Severe Inflammatory Reaction to Hands after Cosmetic Liquid Silicone Injection. A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
Presented at the Division of Plastic Surgery Residents Research Day, Oct. 2003 in Hamilton, Ontario.
• ABLS( Advanced Burn Life Support)
• Laparoscopic Surgery course at CMAS ( Center for minimal access surgery ), Hamilton, Ontario- 2000
• Microsurgery course at St. Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario - 2001
• Endoscopic Plastic Surgery course , CMAS, Hamilton, Ontario- 2002
• Minimally Invasive Approaches to Today’s Aesthetic Patient, New York-2003
• 21st Annual Dallas Rhinoplasty Symposium 2004
• Ted Thomas award in Plastic Surgery for Best Presentation-2000
• Model Student King Saud University School of Medicine-1997